Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Well, well ...interesting how things work out

October 29. 2008

After I got the email from dad and thought about it and also felt impressed for you guys to not come out I talked with President the next day and found out that I can't extend! It turns out that they thought someone was coming in on January which would have made us uneven and thus would have called for a need for me to extend but just before they were going to send my passport to get a second passport (for quicker visa trips) they called Moscow to double check and it turns out there never was a record of someone coming out in January and there isn't. Needless to say I was pretty sad at the news but it was reconfirmed to me that that's why I felt impressed to tell you guys to not come -which apparently you had already been feeling for awhile, so everything works out in the end.

I'm just trying to not think about the looming death date (Jan 14) that is speeding towards me faster and faster. It'll be hard especially with all the holidays-always makes time go faster but I won't think about it and just lose myself in the work. Plus it'll be fun to go home with King and Taylor who I came out with. President was funny, he said that now he didn't know what to do with me cause he only had me stay in Rostov thinking that I still had some time to be sent elsewhere. I mentioned how I prolly won't see Volgograd now since sister Fourtina is out there and he said: "Why not? You would want to?" So we'll see....either way at the end of my mish there will be an odd amount for the last two weeks because a Russian sister is going home at the end of December so there will prolly be a "floating" sister that just travels around and works with the other sisters and that might possibly be how I get to see Volgograd, but then we have two newbies coming in next transfer so who knows. (Haha, like I said, I'm not thinking about it...)

Um....what else...So that's cool you got the utube from the Cameron's -we switched alto and soprano so one verse I'm singing soprano and one alto etc. My new companion is sister Piko. she's from Arizona (Mesa area) and came out two transfers after me. She's great! A real go-getter and not afraid to take charge. At first, I'll admit, I was nervous because she would just sort of do everything and wouldn't give me a chance to get some words in too, etc. I talked to her about it so she was aware of it but as I was thinking more and more about it....why should I want her to work less? I should just do more, push myself, and make myself heard and not wait for a clear window to speak etc. It was a great change of perspective and since then I've been a lot happier.

It's always interesting when we get new companions and we go through a kinda homesickness for our last companionship and finding a new rhythm with the new companion etc. but it always works out in the end, and she's a great missionary which is the most important thing. She's really happy, a funny person and I'm excited to see what this transfer will bring.

I don't know why mom is asking about that Joseph Smith fireside-it was back in July and it went great. People came and they all felt the spirit (us missionaries sang a lot and I bore my testimony). I need to know what size Eric would want for his football jersey (in European sizes that is) and will go take a look today at a local store for prices. Also in the next few months if anyone wants anything let me know (aka: shapka-Russian furry hat, or...martroshka dolls etc). I want to get a pretty Russian shawl and maybe some Russian boots before I go but I'll let ya know how much it costs (aka: Christmas presents for me).

Um...so the work is going pretty good. We've found a few good people lately-one gma in particular that is really sweet and starting to believe in God and she keeps all commitments we give her so we'll see how it goes. It's so exciting when they keep commitments! Nastia (a long time friend here) might finally be getting a job that doesn't require her to work on Sunday which would mean: baptism!

I LOVED the pic in front of the temple with everyone jumping!!!!!!!!! It was sooooo cool -especially CB's pose, very impressive: congrats guys! Um what else....I can sympathize with Steve about band ending. I remember how hard and weird that was and I'm sure he'll be watching his band DVDs all Christmas break and eating bon bons (sniff sniff) but you'll always have those memories and experiences and I'm sure learned a lot from it. You can show your kids something that you were a part of that's really cool -don't worry, I know it seems like all the fun is over but it's only just starting. College is soooo much fun! Seriously if you get a great group of friends, your experience in band will pale in comparison. That's exciting that Eric will be home for the holidays-yeah! I can't remember if I wrote it last time or if it was the time that my email didn't work but, happy bday Mike! (man you're old!) That's ok, we can't all stay a young kid like grandpa.

On the 8th of Nov we're having a big Halloween party for our district which should be fun and a hit if the delegating worked right and everyone did their jobs. It's hard being where the church is still young and not used to how things work especially when they don't want the missionaries planning everything because we should be out doing more missionary things but sometimes you know it'll be better if you just do it-oh well, we'll see.

Last Sunday all the district came in to center to watch the broadcast for the Europe east area-it was amazing! President Piper (our area president) spoke, a sister, Elder Cook from the twelve, and President Monson spoke. It was really good -all about being strong and how we have the foundation now for the church to grow here and we all need to be member missionaries to move on to a second stage of growth. Also about loving one another and not having contention in our branches etc. It was really good for the members to hear from him and his counsel for our corner of the world.

I know that he is a prophet of God and it makes me so happy to be able to say that -gives me such pleasure to have that witness and it gets me so excited to talk to people about how we have a prophet in our day and they can know for themselves too. I think I've realized something, well....re-realized something for the 10th time. If you want to be happy as a missionary: testify. Just bare your testimony. Whatever it is about, whatever you want, but bare it as much as you can every day and then, despite how many lessons you gave or numbers you got etc. you will feel happy and that you fulfilled your calling at the end of the day. Don't wait for a situation where you're sitting down on the couch in the living room with the t.v. off and the person staring at you. Of course these situations are great but let's face it, they don't happen every day. You bare it the second you see an opportunity no matter where you are or who you're with. I know I need to do better at this and I think it's a good way to be happy in general in life because I think we just don't realize how many opportunities we have everyday to bare our testimony's. You don't have to say: I would like to bare my testimony....or I know that ...etc. Just say something matter 'o' factly. Anywho, enough of that.

I love you all so much and am so grateful for all your help, love, and support. It is gonna be crazy meeting up in the airport but in a good way -how all good reunions should start after a long time apart. 8) I haven't gotten any packages yet but it'll be a miracle if I get any of them before November so no worries there.

Luv,
Cectpa Richards

P.S. Two words: Scotland and castles. (and of course if there's time -see London or Dublin etc.) Hey, a girl can dream can't she? 8)

No comments: