Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Shopkas and Martroshkas

Well I was about to seriously scold mom cause I didn't get a letter from her when I first logged on but as I was reading all the other letters it popped up so everything is ok. (phew)

This past week was great. We were blessed with many opportunities to teach people and Nastia -long time friend/investigator prayed and found a new job that didn't require her to work on Sunday which means we have a baptismal date for the 16th! I'm so happy for her and just hope we can do everything in time. Maybe we'll need to push it back a bit -we'll see.

What else...this Monday was zone conference and a really good one! The North and South zone of Rostov came together for this one (not normal) and one of the General Authorities who was in the 3rd quorum of the seventy from Ukraine came and spoke. It was really good and fun to listen and think....I understand this! 8)

It's getting colder and colder by the day but still bearable -I guess, we'll see. I'll look at the jersey today for Eric and I'll let ya know on the boots. There's a cheap boots store across the street. So...if you wear the clothes once you don't have to claim it?? How do they know? Couldn't you just say -"I wore it?" Or something? But that's cool that you don't have to pay, etc. As far as the shopkas go I'm assuming one, if not all four of you will want one? (furry Russian hat) Let me know. They have really pretty shawls here. I got a red/black one it was....15 bucks I think, and I'll try find a good one for you mom and a martroshka doll.

Now back to the important stuff. I'm really loving working with sister Piko. It's funny but when we were first together I was way nervous cause she really takes control and I felt like I couldn't do the work how I liked if she always stepped in and steered everything. But like always, things have settled down and we're more and more used to each other. She's hilarious! I've never laughed more while knocking in my life. Though of course, sometimes we have to reign it in a bit. It's good to be with someone that is just happy.

I think I have a personal goal to testify and promise blessings more for the rest of my mission. We're even trying to testify more while we are contacting people on the streets. Doing better than just: ("Sorry I know you're hurrying but we're new here and trying to get to know people could we talk another time?") and getting a number. Which is bad for the obvious reasons: they don't know who we are or what we're doing. Even if we say we're missionaries most people don't understand this word or all that it entails.

But when we testify, when we say: ("Hi, we've come here for a year and a half as missionaries to talk to people about how they can strengthen their relationship with God through prayer. I know that God exists and that he hears and even wants to hear our prayers and loves us. We'd like to talk more with you another time about how you can strengthen your relationship with God. Could we write down your number and call, or ...we have time on this day, at this time can we meet?") Obviously this is better and no matter what they say we feel better cause we testified and maybe they felt something that opened up their heart just a lil bit more. So yea...testifying is easier and more gratifying in the end.

I love this work so much and I love the closeness I've been able to feel with Christ through this work. I'm grateful for the stronger conviction that I've gained while being out here and gaining the bravery to be bold with those around me. I'm also grateful for the ability I've gained to have meaningful study of the scriptures where I receive personal revelation and listen to what the spirit would have me learn and APPLY. I'm sooo grateful for a prophet in our day and that no matter what worldly leaders may do, we have a leader that we can trust in 100% and know that he will never lead us astray. I know that the only other time I feel the same amount of joy that doing missionary work gives me -is in the temple....and that's prolly cause it's the SAME WORK.

I love you all so much and hope that all is going well. Congrats Steve!!! Four successful years in the band -way to go! I know it's sad that it's over but don't worry you can show me the CD's of all your different shows and it will be fun for the both of us to reminisce.

It was funny, last night we were at a member's house and they were sooo great! All are members, sealed in the temple and it was just so visible, the happiness that the gospel gave them. They said "Oh just wait, in a few minutes we'll know who will be the next president" and we were like.....huh? They were so shocked that we didn't even know that it was happening yesterday but we were like....wow, that's interesting, but here look at this book! and held up preach my gospel and went right on with our spiritual thought. They thought it was pretty funny but yea, I think I have never cared less about what's going on back home.

A Russian sister in Taganrog called us this morning to tell us that "what's his name" won and said: "Hey, you guys have a black president." And my comp said: "um....great? We don't really care." Not to treat it lightly -of course it's important who is our leader and his opinions/plans etc. as much as I hate politics I recognize that it is somewhat important but it is just funny how little desire we have to hear about anything going on at home. No matter who is the leader it's not gonna change my resolve to live the gospel, follow the prophets' warnings/guidance and help others find the truth along the way so....yea. I guess that's that. Haha!

I love you all so much and thanks so much for the pictures! Those grand kids are so adorable it's ridiculous. They should do commercials or something: for baby Einstein videos! Perfect! Anywho, I haven't gotten the packages yet but I'm sure they're almost here. We just barely got over the month mark and sometimes it takes longer, so there ya go. Thanks for your prayers and constant good thoughts.

Cectpa Richards

P.S. As far as I'm concerned I will be home working/saving and maybe will make a few trips to see friends until the fall semester. 8)

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Becca's hair is so cute! and Sara's pics looked so fun! and Amanda, I'm confused, I don't remember this Jack character -maybe heard mention of him but who is he again? What's the deal with him hmmm? Crazy crazy crazy ...that's all :)

(You can't see but I'm giving you my best puppy eyes) Write me please, it's getting cold and the more happiness that I have to hold on to the better. Freezing in Russia and preaching the gospel with fun letters from friends is WAY better than just Freezing in Russia while preaching the gospel. 8)

Just a thought... said...

Whitney will be thrilled when she gets the book with all of your letters for Christmas. That should be enough love to keep her warm through the rest of her mission! Oh and Amanda, I mentioned to Whitney awhile ago who Jack was when I sent the first pictures of you two together. She must have forgotten or wants more details than I was able to give.