Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Health, happiness and stuff like that

Happy New Year one and all!

2008 looks like it'll be a great year for me and I hope it will be for you too! I have to say Russians really know how to do the New Years-it's the one holiday that they really celebrate and go all out for (not really big on Christmas like us).

So yesterday we met with a few referrals and sang them a christmas song and gave them a gift of a book of Mormon and some pictures of Christ etc. and got a return appointment. It was cool cause you could tell the lady really appreciated it because she got a lil' emotional-always happy to cheer someone for the holidays. Then we tried to buy some food etc. for our night since we got to stay up til 12:30 am and it was like a natural disaster had occurred. The reenok was a mess, people buying everything that wasn't tied down-mass chaos. Then we went home, changed into street clothes and tagless (for obvious reasons) and went over to the Elders. We had pizza, cookies and got to watch a movie. We saw the Bourne Ultimatum which I was REALLY excited for since I hadn't gotten to see it before I left and it was approved so we watched that. It was pretty cool though I'm not sure if I liked the style they shot it in as much. I think the elders found my excitement and enthusiasm for it funny: "Most girls aren't like that..." What can I say, I like action.

Then at 8:30 pm me and my companion had to go home. We ate, and watched finding Nemo and.....colored my hair 8) (I know-you're all freaking out now and worrying, what color?! why?!) It's a dark-chocolate brown- type color and it turned out really well. Who knows, if I like it enough maybe you'll see it when you come to get me. I'd show you a picture but I didn't bring my chord to my camera so you'll just have to use your wild imaginations.

Then five minutes to midnight Putin did his traditional five minute speech to the Russian people. I didn't really understand what he said but he did say "Dear friends.....Happy New Years....health....happiness...." stuff like that. Then they showed the Russian equivalent of Big Ben in Moscow chime midnight and started singing the Russian hymn and we went out on our balcony. It's pretty cool here because there aren't laws about fireworks so EVERYONE buys them and not just lil' sissy kinds that go off in the streets but the big kinds too. I think every rooftop in the city was shooting them off so it was like the whole horizon and everywhere around you was fireworks-pretty cool. I guess traditionally at midnight you shake in your hand or have whatever you want to happen the following year for ex: it's common for people to shake coins/money in their hands meaning they'll get money in the coming year or...whatever you want. They also think of a wish/desire and then at midnight toast and it will come true.

Walking to the Internet cafe was interesting today-it's like a ghost town practically. Today is our P-day and by 5:00 pm we need to be in our apartments but then it's back to work tomorrow. I'm excited for this week because me and my companion decided it's consecration week meaning we follow every single rule exactly-regarding times, speak your language etc, and we leave every morning a lil' early and don't come back til 9:00- so we work ALL day and just bring something we can snack on throughout the day etc. I'm really excited for this because I know it will help me become a better missionary and we can do it every week. Also, this Friday for our culture night which we haven't done yet since coming (we get one a month if we want) all of the missionaries in Krasnodar are going to see the Nutcracker ballet. I'm REALLY excited because if you go to Russia, you HAVE to see a ballet and I haven't seen this ballet since I was 10 when the Bartlesville community center put it on.

Hey mom, where was your email to me huh?? and I STILL haven't "opened" the supposed gift that you got me for Christmas. Still no packages but hey, what can ya do.

Something kinda funny just happened. A drunk guy came up to me and asked me something but I didn't understand and my comp is on the next computer and she let him start using her computer for something.

Anywho, possible things of note that could be happening in the near future for me: It turns out that there was a new visa law made right when we came. If we had come a day earlier into Russia our visas would have been good for a year, but now they're only good for 3 months so sometime in January all of us who came in October will have to go to Histonia for a short lil' trip to renew our visas. It's a hassle and gets in the way of the flow of the work but it will be interesting to see I'm sure.

You'll have to write me and tell me what all Santa brought you for Christmas-anything exciting etc. Also, to Sara: congratulations on your engagement!!!! That's so CRAZY that Karin sat right by you on the plane and you both realized that you knew me-yup that's me, touching lives everywhere, haha. I'm so excited for you, especially since we're more connected through Houston 8)

Well I love you all and know that as we make resolutions to become better and improve ourselves and how we are living our lives, the Lord will bless and consecrate our efforts and help us find more happiness and a stronger resolve to live His gospel and continue enduring to the end. I want to challenge you all to make it a family goal to pray for, look for, and accomplish at least one missionary-type experience each week and then report to each other for family night. It could be as simple as sharing what you believe through natural conversation to a stranger, friend, inviting people to some type of function, or giving referrals to the elders in the area,pass-along cards, but something. I know the Lord needs as many instruments as he can find and will be more than happy to bless you with opportunities and the sensitivity and courage to meet them.

I love you all soooooooooooooooooo much! And am grateful for your prayers and continual thoughts and well wishing. Keep me informed in all of the developments in your lives and have a Happy New Year!

Love,
Cectpa Richards

No comments: