Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Internet malfunction

Well hello there everyone,

Did we all forget something this week? Hmmmm? Maybe your favorite missionary out here in Russia, who only gets one chance every week to hear from those she loves??!!! Oh well, no sweat-there's always next week (my tone is reserved indignation here). It's kinda weird cause sometimes mom's computer gives her trouble or something happens in route but normally someone writes-whether Dad or even my Mission President-though he has an excuse. He's on the rode for zone conferences in a mission the size of Texas-lil' busy.

Well I guess I'll just comment on my life here (I hate one way conversations 8) Ok, ok, ok, enough of the guilt tripping-hope everyone is doing well. The work is going pretty good here-of course I'm continuing to learn and grow. I think we are getting better at teaching at the drop of a hat-thus we're getting more lessons because we just create opportunities to share the gospel in any conversation with someone. Maybe it's only five minutes-talking about God and prayer but hopefully that person will be even more receptive the next time for the next missionaries.

Well there was an interesting news segment here in Russia and I'm anxious to hear the real story-they said there were Mormons in Texas (though I think it was the fundamentalists or something) that either kidnapped or raped 50 young girls or something, basically the Russian news-which played for two days straight-told people that if they see "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" to run because we are the worst/scariest sect around and we want to kidnap/rape their children etc.

Yes, this story was run by the most popular/watched news station-very professional yeah? This is prolly one of the biggest things we try to correct when we talk to people-that we are not a sect but a church. Of course it's hard when the orthodox church views every church except theirs and the Catholics as a sect and instantly closes their ears/hearts to anything we say-basically we just bare our testimony and move on. It's frustrating but what can ya do? We even looked up the definition of a sect in the dictionary and it said: for example: Mormons. Sheesh... So anyway,
I was wondering if the story was big in America at all and the FACTS of what happened and if there were any statements made by the church over general conference-and how was General Conference?!

We get to see it this weekend once it's been translated....kinda sad about that just cause...I like to hear the power in their voices and understand 100% but I'll take what i can get. Um...haha, I don't really know what else to talk about-the new Ensign this month all about Christ is amAzing-truly inspired and full of good information and art. I especially enjoyed (I haven't finished it yet) Elder Holland's talk and the story about Orsen F. Whitney's dream about the atonement. I had never heard it before and it was really powerful. Thanks again Mike and Jess for the photos-I could open them this time and they were really cute! Especially the practically killing the horsey one.

Well prolly in a week or two I'll go to Estonia again but just for a day or two so no biggie. We have zone conference next week which I'm looking forward to and hopefully my birthday package will come otherwise I'll have to take a trip to Rostov sometime to check before then. I'll let ya know. Thanks for all of your love and support-I'm understanding more and more and am truly grateful for the Lord's help and constant support-I know I'm never alone and that He descended below us all so that we can never feel alone.

Hope all is well, maybe there was something wrong on my side with the emails-hopefully it will all work next week. I love you.

Cectpa Richards

P.S. I just remembered that President Harrison said that if our families want to come pick us up than we need to ask him for permission so he can send info about receiving Russian visas etc. to come here-just checking if you still are planning on it so I can let him know.

1 comment:

Just a thought... said...

I'm not sure what happened with Whitney's emails. Her Dad wrote twice earlier in the week and I've written three times??? Others may have written as well. Maybe it's a Russian conspiracy directed at those "Scary Mormons" who are out to kidnap their children!