Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Grannies, swearing, and axes ...Oh My!

Well hello there everyone!

Things here in T-rog are going pretty well 8) Weather has definitely been warmer which is always nice and Cectpa Malinina has come and joined us for a couple of weeks. She is kind of an unofficial AP for the sisters and will spend a few weeks with each of the sister companionships throughout the mission working with them etc. It has been good having her here because she is definitely more take charge etc than me as far as talking to sister G. Don't get me wrong, sister G is great and will work...just...isn't a leader at all and does NOT like street contacting and or talking to people outside of knocking situations which isn't very good since you can't be knocking all the time but we are missionaries all the time.

But sister M has been great and really just is blunt and lays down the law which I know sister G needs to hear. Its amazing how much easier and less scarier missionary work is, namely street contacting when your companion does it and acts like its not a big deal (cause it's not) so I've been really grateful to her.

My efforts as far as street contacting go have increased too. The other day I talked to a bob (bobooshka=gma) in the reenok the other day as we were walking and she asked me why I'm doing this and how much do I get payed and when she realized I didn't get payed etc, kept asking-then why do you do it etc? If people want faith or church they can find it, you dont need to bother us blah blah blah, haha. I was just happy that I understood her, and I reached where sister M and G were waiting as the gma walked passed, yelling at me still and sister M just looked at me with raised eyebrows and said, "She said you are shameless." I just laughed and she said, "I'm proud of you." Which made me feel really good to have her approval-no one is perfect but I really respect her work ethic and fearlessness.

Anywho....I have another fun story from yesterday but I wonder if all here will see the humor in it that I did....oh well, I'll go ahead and tell you. SO we were knocking and one lady came out and once she realized who we were started yelling-happens. I didn't really understand what she was saying and cectpa M said: WOW, she used some BAD words. So we went to the next door and she came out again and said you're still here?! and started yelling again telling us to leave etc. Cectpa G started to leave and I started to follow her, we only had one door left in the stairwell anyway, and cectpa M reluctantly followed (she doesn't like to be chased out of places etc-like I said, fearless) all of a sudden the lady comes back out of her apartment still yelling, this time she has an axe! Hahaha, she didn't do anything with it and I didn't even see her cause I was already out of the stairwell but cectpa m saw cause she was last and the lady was waving it around and yelling.

Now, before you start to worry unnecessarily-this is a VERY rare occurrence and if you saw this tiny lady you would not be worried for our lives, hahaha. It was just so funny because we rang on her door and said we are here as missionaries and talk with people about families etc, and this is how she reacted, hahaha just so extreme and over the top...anywho....now I have a cool little story to share about my mission. Mom, stop worrying, I know you-stop worrying, it was funny and the Lord is taking care of us so just laugh and don't worry.

Anywho, tomorrow is zone conference which I am REALLY excited about! I'm singing the special musical number for it so we will see how it goes-it has been a long time since I've had the chance to sing, it's kinda weird. um...what else...the 8th of March is Women's Day. A holiday where basically men give gifts to women for being women- yea! Way to be a woman! Shrug, I don't get it either but they have a Men's Day too so at least it's fair. We'll see if the elders do anything for us 8)

Well the work is going well and we have two baptismal dates-one 9 year old boy who's parents are inactive but his gma is active and a mother of a less active who we've been meeting with for awhile.

In response to mom's questions about T-rog, it is definitely smaller than Krasnodar and prolly less fancy looking buildings/public transportation. It's right next to a sea which is cool-though it's all frozen right now but hopefully I'll get to see it before I leave here. I really like it here and am excited to work hard and better all the time. Our English class is going well-it is always interesting because me and Elder Miller came out at the same time=we don't know Russian that well and the people in our class are in the middle group=they don't know English that well, but we have our trusted dictionary and get some laughs from it.

Thanks for all your love and support-it was crazy to hear about dad's run in with the racket, though I was impressed with how long he lasted before serious injury, and that's so cool that you guys get to hang with Mike/Jess and the kids-you'll have to take pictures of you guys while you're there and of our house and Central! and send them to me 8)It'll be fun to see my old haunts.

Well I better go, I'll be sure to write more of my adventures next week-hopefully they'll be a lil more quiet 8) Hahhaha.

Luv,
Cectpa Richards

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Hey, so this is for my immediate immediate fam and my fellow bloggers cause I thought you would appreciate it. Just as a pre-cursor, the work was not hurt in any way by this-only our amount of sleep 8)

So I was telling Cectpa M about the different funny prank wars we had at F6 and R22 and we wanted to do something funny for the elders but there really isn't anything we can do during the day because we are working of course so we decided to give them a friendly lil wake up call this morning (it was P-day after all).

So we told one of the elders (4 live together) that we wanted to bring them breakfast so when they got up it would be ready and on the table for them etc. So he gave us a key and of course cautioned us to not go in bedrooms and be quiet! (DUH!)

Anywho...so we go over there at 4 in the morning, put the breakfast in the kitchen (and a cake that we put a bandaid in -clean but still...funny once found) and two sister missionary dolls made out of balloons-one named Sister Relax which we placed on the couch and the other named Sister Laxative which we placed....well...on the toilet in the bathroom. We then pushed play on the tape player we brought and ...ran! On the tape was 30 sec of silence and then really loud music with this loud Russian man yelling: "Hey guys!" and then us cheering and basically saying- "Yeah for P-day" and
"Don't hate us!"

Hahahaha....yea, needless to say they were very confused and startled when they heard loud music and Russian in their apartment and were Very startled when they had to go to the bathroom later. Haha!

They were afraid to eat our food cause they thought the doll named Sister Laxative was a hint of something we did to the food-of course we didn't but that would have been a good idea....

Anywho, a lil scandelous I know but it took all of 30 minutes and we were back at home in bed and it was the first and last prank I'll prolly ever play on my mission. Anywho...ahem, hopefully you found it as funny as I did and don't think less of me......it was ALL Cectpa M's idea!!!! 8) ....at least it was P-day right?!

Your Sneaky,
Cectpa Richards

Disclaimer from Mom Richards: Don't try this at _________ . (fill in with the name of your mission!) Three girls walking the streets of Russia at 4:00 am? Hmmm ... not something I would recommend!

Richmond Stake Day of Service said...

LOL...just priceless!