Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Oy

Hello one and all!

Well I'm not sure when I will be heading back to Russia but I think I will still be here through the week so we will see.

Wow....
A lot has happened this week. We found out Monday morning from our zone leaders that President Hinckley had passed away the day before. We of course were in shock because over here we don't really hear anything leading up to what happens, just when the big stuff happens but it sounds like it was a shock for everyone. It really doesn't feel real...its easy to feel so disconnected over here and it prolly won't feel real til I go home and not see him in conference like usual. I will miss his smile, humor and constant concern and love for the youth of the church-he is really the only prophet that I remember and have grown up with so he will always have a special place in my heart.

The work continues to move forward here despite one of my companions has gotten bronchitis from an investigator which we just found out had it when we taught her. No worries mom, its been over a week and I am fine-no symptoms etc. So I guess we will have a member come over to be with her and then we will go out to work (one of the blessings of a threesome). There is a doctor (well actually a brain surgeon) in the branch and he wouldn't give her antibiotics-they are very strong naturalists here, would rather take herbal supplements etc. because antibiotics aren't that good for your system etc. I'm just glad I already have my antibiotics with me in case something happens.

We have a really hard lesson coming up with an investigator today-we learned a big issue-concern that she has yesterday so please be praying for us that we can help her and she can have the desire, faith, and strength to overcome it-she really is amazing but for all intents and purposes her baptismal date is postponed for sure. I hate feeling so helpless-like I want to fix everything for people and just do it for them but in the end it is up to them and there is nothing we can do but testify and sit back and watch if they will walk away from the most important message they will ever here. We will see though.

Also through talking to people sometimes I feel so inexperienced. I'm starting to realize just how much of an amazing and easy life I have led. Sure I've had my struggles like everyone else but really...when it comes down to it-nothing really earth-shattering or hard as far as mistakes-sins-etc. which is good....but I'm sure people just think: what does she know? She's never experienced this, just a blessed girl from America etc...that's why I'm so glad that I can testify of Christ who HAS felt and experienced everything that we have and if anyone is important to have on our side it's Him.

Anywho...on a little lighter side, apparently I've been mumbling in my sleep lately. And last night sister Whitehead said that I was saying (Oy) which is just a filler in Russian a lot and then sister Hansen asked something in Russian and I responded in Russian and then said oy again-she doesn't remember what we said exactly but she was really confused and tried asking us (pocheemoo mwee gavareem parooskee?) (why are we speaking Russian). I thought it was pretty funny and I want to know what I said....I can't speak Russian well while I'm awake but apparently I can when I'm asleep, haha.

Today we are going to old town which is a cool part of the city that is really old fashioned-cobblestone streets and a lil tower-castle type thing with lots of stores and even a McDonald's (guess their old town was very advanced for the time). I need to buy a new journal-I really need to write smaller and less or all I'll have room for is my journals.

I'm grateful to be here and to be around such great examples and will be sure to let you know when I head back to Russia etc.

I love you all and hope that all is well with you and your busy schedules. Thank you for all your letters and news from home. (Hopefully when I go back I will have a bunch of packages from home waiting).

I just have to say what a comfort it is that this is Christ's church and that our leader never will change, only the earthly representative.

Love,
Cectpa Richards

1 comment:

Just a thought... said...

Whitney's big brother just left today to begin a tour of duty in Iraq. He called tonight after arriving at the airport in Ireland. (Whitney will be sooo jealous!) Though he said it didn't really count because he was just in the airport. Next stop ...Kuwait. Eventually he will arrive in Iraq where he will be stationed for the next year working hard and using his Arabic skills to help keep the troops safe.