Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Things are looking up

Greetings from the land up north!

Well it sounds like everyone is doing great and keeping busy with all sorts of fun and interesting things which makes all your emails fun and interesting to read so thanks! Well we just got off of a great week-we had more lessons than we have ever had before and more new investigators than ever before, the Lord is definitely blessing us. Sadly Cectpa Malinina goes on today to Rostov to work with those sisters for the last two weeks of the transfer so it will be real interesting to see how her influence sticks with Cectpa G. Hopefully we'll only continue to improve and do more and more.

I have definitely noticed a correlation between how many people I talk to and the amount of success we have-not that our success necessarily comes from street contacting but it seems the Lord blesses us later through knocking into someone or by some other means. Though one story that really solidified my testimony of street contacting: we were walking along and I've really been trying hard to just talk to people at the drop of the hat if I feel the slightest inclination (not as easy as it sounds) and I stopped one woman and explained who I was, why I was here and if she would be interested to learn more etc. She was really sweet and gave me her number and then invited me right then and there to go with her to her house to talk-needless to say we found my companions and then all went over. They are members of some baptist type of church (with your typical hands in the air, amen type places) but the mom seems really nice and open. She even started crying while we were walking to her house saying how she is having such a hard time finding a job and living conditions aren't ideal for her right now, but she felt like she should have walked the way she was walking and sure enough met me.

It was really humbling because it wasn't like I felt anything earth shattering just saw someone that came into my path, wasn't walking super fast and decided to open my mouth. It's really humbling to know that the Lord uses us for His children and most of the time we don't even realize it-think of the many opportunities that pass us by without us ever realizing it! So now I'm definitely converted to talking to EVERYONE. I know it's sort of a "duh" thing in missionary work but after much rejection it's easy to doubt certain methods, wondering if it's just something you hear about in the ensign etc.

We knocked into one AMAZING girl who invited us in was excited to talk to us and wanted to meet again. We tried calling her last night but her boyfriend answered and after learning who we were wouldn't let us talk to her and said that he would decide because she was his etc (sounds like a real catch yea?) anyway, needless to say I was so mad afterwards and wanted to beat all boys (no offense boys) so I'm just praying that she'll some how be able to contact us.

Happy Birthday Benson!!! I can NOT believe you are 4!!!! of course I feel like you are older because you are such a smart boy and helping with your sisters. Seriously where is the time going?

It's really cool that mom and Steve get to spend sometime in good ol' OK. I hope you guys have a wicked-awesome storm there in honor of our OK days-they really were the best. take some pictures of the town if you can-at least, places that i would recognize.

Mom-thanks for all the great info on my friends! I can't believe Sara is already married....it was in March?! crazy, time seems to be super compressed here because by the time I get news of something it's already nearly happened-lil time to get used to the idea. Congrats SARA and JUSTIN!!!! That is soooo cool, you'll have to write me and tell me all about it and where you went for the honeymoon etc-later of course when everything calms down-it's a whirlwind I'm sure.

Amanda, I'm so excited that I got a heart CB shirt!!! you can send it on to me or wait-but seriously anything new received on a mission is exciting (sad but true-a new shirt to wear to bed/ p-days would be really exciting) you just get so tired of the same old same old things. I think after my mission I will have fun burning my clothes, haha...or....ya know....giving it to DI or something....

I have a letter for Heather to send in the pouch but I have to find some American stamps, but I'll try and get on that.

Well it was a great St. Patrick's day....not sure why....we didn't do anything for it-my companions didn't know much about it-heard of it but maybe just because of all the Americans they hang out with. It's funny, you'd think Russians would love a holiday that encourages drinking etc, but I guess they don't need a holiday to do that. As they say here: every day in Russia is a holiday (and it's really true, just people rarely remember which they are celebrating).

So apparently Cectpa Malinina helped the elders find an apartment yesterday which is really good because if she hadn't- President would have moved us to Rostov and given the elders our apartment so there would be four elders but no sisters here in T-rog (He doesn't' like 4 elders living together) but they have one now so we're here still. Also it seems Cectpa Malinina gets to choose where and with whom she will serve for the last transfer of her mission. She said she wants me and will try but neither of us are very hopeful just because we have now served with each other twice and I need to be with cectpa G (president said he doesn't' trust many people to be able to work effectively with her etc). But we'll see, we mainly just want to be together for my birthday (12th) and because it's her last week before she dies (goes home).

I'm so greatful for all of your love and support. Steve, that sounded really gross-what happened to your toe, but way to be a man...I'm sure you didn't cry....much 8) And glad to see you are continuing the tradition of werewolves-tho I'm sure it's not as fun or masterfully played as ol' F6 and R22. We're having a reunion when I get back and we're all playing k?(--this question mark is really only here for grammar's sake, it's not a question).

It's interesting to hear about all the snow in Salt Lake right now-it's pretty nice here and every now and then we get a gorgeous day without clouds (i can NOT wait for spring and summer!!! ) tho...I'm sure I will be retracting that statement when it's really hot and we're climbing all the stairwells to knock and apparently the smell gets really bad in the heat 8) Also great to hear about Hawaii-I'm sure it was gorgeous and humid, it would be really interesting to see all the historical sites there.

Speaking of army, hey Eric! How's the job, life, the base? It's always funny if when in conversation it comes up that you are in the army and in Iraq-everyone is always like: "No way!" and then aren't sure what to say (if I think it's a good thing or a bad thing, am worried etc. ) I just tell them not to worry-that you've got a cushy job listening to the soothing sounds of Arabic all day long-right?
Haha

Well I love you all and gotta hurry and write to President. Please keep praying for me and the work (more importantly the work) I expect some pictures in emails of family, weddings, and friends soon 8)

Luv,
Cectpa Richards

No comments: