Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Preevyet"

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of your great emails this week-it was great to hear how the kids liked Halloween and what everyone has been doing lately.

This week has flown by and I'm trying to remember things of note that happened that I could mention...We have two who are close to baptism but again, one wants to finish the Book of Mormon and the other's mother is against it so we'll see what will happen this next week. I don't know if I have already mentioned it or not but our District has about I dunno...50? in attendance every week-could be more or less not sure...but it feels small to me. Our building is really nice though-has white pillars out front, it's sandwiched between other dirtier/shabbier buildings of course so it kinda sticks out. It's pretty narrow inside but has three floors to it and has really nice accommodations, font etc. The members work hard to keep it clean and nice-really showing their love for the church and the place they are allowed to worship. The other night me and Sister Malinina stood outside the building and asked people that were passing by if they knew about the church/new what this building was, and one actually said that she had wondered what this building was cause it used to be a fabric store, and that maybe she would come on Sunday with her granddaughter-who knows, we'll see.

In answer to Mike, I haven't gotten any mail yet (snail mail that is) though I think we only get mail/packages every zone conference when the president and his wife come from the mission office-they bring it all, so that's every transfer (six weeks).

Our members are really great and many have served missions and are great resources to use with investigators. We have quite a few investigators right now but not many are progressing investigators. We're trying to meet with the three that we taught first lessons to last week but they seem to be really busy-hopefully we can meet with them because two of them have real promise.

Yesterday was an interesting day of weather. It started out sunny, warm, then became REALLY windy, then it got colder and was raining all late morning/early afternoon (really fun to knock in let me tell ya! haha people that we were crazy for being out in it) and then later in the day it snowed (none of it stuck) but yea....interesting, it was good-i like a lil' variety.

Um...what else...It gets dark around five here and light around seven. It makes it hard to contact/ knock because people don't like it when you're knocking in the dark (it does get really dark in the streets because there are very few streetlights/lamp posts). Every other door they say something about it being too late, then we look at our watches and it's only six....frustrating, but I guess we need to try and schedule all our meetings etc. at night so we can contact during the day...though many are at work...not exactly the perfect system-can't wait for summer when it's light til late.

I was telling my companion about Thanksgiving last night and the different foods we eat. I don't think we do anything special, but maybe we'll have some sort of zone party for Christmas/New years...not sure. Christmas here is Jan 7th after New Years, but church members celebrate the American date I think. My comp was like: "Hey we can make your mom's pie", but I'm not sure if they have the canned pumpkin filling here-prolly not, but I guess we can look. Maybe you can email me the recipe mom just in case. Well I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season in the next lil' bit.

Steve-knock 'em dead at nationals! play with all the passion and fire that you've got, but don't go so crazy that all your technique and practice goes out the window-there's definitely a balance to be found. I know you'll do great! I was trying to explain to my comp about marching band but I don't think she really grasps the full picture-prolly thinks it's like a parade, marching and playing in lil' lines in one direction. O well, it'll be real fun to hear how everything goes-I'll try to remember and keep you in my prayers on Friday-Sat.

Eric, have fun with the fam! let me know what your next bit of plans will be- I guess you're going to Kentucky and then Iraq? Let me know about dates/what you can say about what you are doing etc. It's exciting to think that you'll be sort of close to me 8) at least the closest to me out of our family.

Mike, that's so exciting about Brina walking! I know when I get back I won't even recognize them and even more so they won't know me, but it'll be fun to see how they've grown up and who knows, maybe another lil one. Keep up the good work at the job-way to be.

The work is hard but it makes you appreciate the little things a whole lot more. I continue to try to be patient with myself and my lack of Russian skills. I'm trying to really study the language every day-at first wasn't so good at it. It's hard to discipline yourself and study for yourself, hard to know where to begin-need to know everything. It's going good though and I know if we keep trying to do our best the Lord will help us find those that are willing to hear the message.

I love you all and o yea, I wrote mom/dad/Steve and Route 22 and F6 a letter-coming to you through pouch. There was an elder who was going to the mission office and we sent them on with him so hopefully you'll get a physical letter soon. And hey, R22 and F6, if there's any news you want to update me with you can comment on the blog and tell my mom to email me the comments etc. or use pouch, though it's one page, one side and I won't get it for awhile-but whatever you want 8)

love you all, keep the prayers and letters coming!
Cectpa Richards

No comments: