Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I've been crossed

Greetings one and all!

Thanks for your continual support and letters,they are a huge highlight to my week! Speaking of sending correspondence: All packages need to be sent to the mission office if you didn't already know, thank you 8)

So another week has come and gone. Our lil' Thanksgiving was great last week. We all met up at the elders' apartment-it is a huge apartment, I'm so jealous
8( We all went out to a cement court out back and played some football which was fun. I'm not sure which was more fun playing or watching people's interest and expressions as they passed seeing real Americans playing real American football. Pretty funny. Then we went back to the apartment. We watched the "Emperor's New Groove" in Russian which was pretty comical because I remembered all that was being said and then learning what it was in Russian-not exactly an exact translation but still hilarious. The part when they go over the water fall and he says bring it on was pretty funny. There's a word: "Feegnah" which just means that something is worthless, not important, or our slang word: crap. And that's all he said before they went over the waterfall- we were laughing pretty hard.

Our meal was amazing even for American standards-everyone brought something and we had about ten of us together. We had chicken marinated in this barbecue/pineapple sauce stuff-really good, pumpkin bread (so good!). Fruit salad, jello, rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing casserole, and more but I can't remember at the moment...then we had these lil personal pumpkin pies which were ok-just add water on the back of package type of thing, but then we had our apple pies and ice cream. I think I'm still working off all that I ate and haven't really been that hungry since.

Um...what else happened this week...we got this one lady from the elders who had knocked into her (not literally of course) and she's really amazing. She has already come to church and brought her 6 year old son, came to FHE at the branch, and came to English last night and we taught her the plan of salvation which I think went well...only she had a problem with pre-earth life-thought that our spirits were just created once God created our bodies with His breath or something. We'll find some good scriptures though and address it next time-she's really great and a sincere lady. Our knocking hasn't found as much success as normal this past while-a bit of doubt with lots of interesting, old, Russian-orthodox people (always a good combination with a couple young Mormon missionaries 8)

One man we knocked into was trying to convince my companion that she should be orthodox and how can she not be orthodox because she's Russian-she gets this a lot and hates it (understandably). Here it's really interesting because people are way strong Russian Orthodox because they are Russian and they think that that's enough of a reason to be orthodox-never mind the religious aspects of it, you're Russian so therefore you should be orthodox. Anywho, this man and Cectpa Malinina hashed it out for a good 20-30 minutes on the doorstep with me just standing there and wanting to say something but thought better of it when I started hearing him say "amerakanskee" a lot. Let the bashing begin! Hahaha, he went on and on about how Americans were fat and lazy and only want to invade lands, eat all the food and then move to the next land etc. My comp wanted to point out that I was American and not fat and he was the fat one but thought better of it 8) She tried to point out that all people are the same and Russia has bad leaders too- what about Stalin and Lenin etc and he actually was ok with them and thought they were good people (never mind that they killed millions of their own people) def. interesting....

I feel bad for people who have been so brainwashed by politics and what the media tells them-you just can't believe everything you hear, and because of it they have such a skewed and small view/understanding of the world. Everyone Everywhere wants the same things- to be happy, successful, have a good life, and I think too often politics and media cause more problems then they're fixing-turning people against each other. But anywho...enough of that, afterwards we were able to laugh about it.

We were walking down the street and one old man passed by and asked who we were/what we were doing and we told him and the second he realized we were a different church than orthodox he started yelling how A.) we should be orthodox and B.) we were possessed.

Yesterday we knocked and an old "babushka" came out and after explaining we wanted to talk about Jesus Christ's gospel etc. she crossed US! (you know when people cross themselves etc? She did it to us!) Hahaha we just stood there awkwardly looking at her like...um....is something supposed to happen, what now?

It's really interesting because we say we want to talk about Christ and God and the gospel and people say-I don't want to talk about that I'm orthodox etc and we're thinking.....what, you don't believe in God, Jesus Christ and study his gospel in your church?? It's the same person isn't it and if not...what kind of church is the orthodox church? Haha

I hope you all don't think I'm sounding discouraged or depressed cause I'm fine-these experiences are mere musings at the end of the day, a dime a dozen if you will, haha. But at the end of the day I feel good cause I tried to open my mouth and speak and invite others to come unto Christ- nowhere does it say we have to pick them up and force them into the font, in the end it's up to them.

It has been a bit colder here but when I'm all done up in my winter coat, wool beenie, scarf, etc I'm pretty comfortable-but those warm socks will be a great addition. I think we'll have zone conference in two weeks or so, so if you could get them here in time for me to get them that would be great! (I have no idea how long it takes to send 8)

Well I made it through my first transfer. I'm still here with my companion and I'm glad-I'm starting to get settled and used to everything, it really is starting to feel like home now and I don't want to leave yet-I want to be with Cectpa Malinina through Christmas 8)

Though one elder in our zone is leaving and an elder who came out with me from the MTC is coming so it will be fun to see how his experiences have been/how he's doing etc. I can't wait to work with Cectpa King or Taylor who I roomed with in the MTC-it'll be like working with family 8)

Well I better go but first I'd just like to say thanks for all of your support and love. Eric,Grandpa Richards and Grandpa Adams, thank you so much for your help and support-it really means a lot. I remember when Dad told me that you (Eric) wanted to help pay for my mission and I was so touched cause I know it's not exactly convenient or easy for you but just shows how much you love me and the gospel and you know how important this great work is. I love you all and am excited to hear about your holiday plans and experiences. The nursery sounds like it's one happenin' place thanks to mom and dad 8) Hey Steve, you don't have to write an epistle or anything, just a quick note-come on man, it's email, not even hard! 8)

Luv you guys
Cectpa Richards

1 comment:

Just a thought... said...

If any of you would like to send some little inexpensive item (or letters/cards) to Whitney for Christmas and would like to avoid the international shipping fee ($37.00 for a flat rate box)just send them to me and I will put together a "friends package" for her. (Sorry Rustafarrian ...no Jamba Juice this time!) It just needs to be here in the next week or two in order order for me to get it to the mission home in time for her to get it for Christmas.

Remember to send inexpensive things - the total value of the contents needs to be under $50.00 or we will have to pay customs fees.

Sara and Amanda have our mailing address - or just call Whit's old phone number and ask her brother Stephen for our address.

Good luck to all of you as the semester begins to wind down. I know that finals aren't much fun but I'm sure you willl all do great!

Luv and hugs,

Mom Richards