Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Finally!

August 14, 2007

Well hello everyone!

Sorry it's taken me so long to write an email, but it's always a zoo here on p-day and last week it was just easier to skip it and send some snail mail. How has everyone been doing? I'm sure life is going on as normal, but if there's any exciting or interesting news-be sure to let me know (especially how the nieces and nephew are growing!) The temple was beautiful today and it is definitely THE highlight of my week. Everyone tells the newbies to just hold on til Sunday and p-day the first week and it's true.

Class is going well. I love my district-we're getting more comfortable with each other and people are coming out of their shells which is fun to see. It's just me and my comp (Sister Kelemen) and five sets of elders but we have fun with them and I think they're feeling more comfortable around us. My teacher’s Br. Wilson and Br. Avryl are wonderful-so spiritual and both have a love for Russian and its people which helps us stay motivated. The language is beautiful but complex and it's easy to become humbled daily but I've learned if you set small realistic and doable goals and only worry about that goal and not the rest of the language you can find joy in the little accomplishments of the day which helps.

I went to choir practice for the first time on Sunday and it was great-I chose to sing Alto cause it seems they have enough sopranos (cough, cough) and don't need any of my help or added volume 8) We're singing come thou fount tonight at the devotional and we're excited to see who comes. Last week was elder L. Tom Perry along with on Sunday for RS we had the general primary president speak to us, so not bad so far 8)

It was very sad to hear about President Faust. We were sitting in class and we heard his name and thought they were announcing he was coming for a surprise visit or something, but then heard he had died that morning. We were silent for a good five minutes, no one knowing what to say and our teacher was able to voice what we were all thinking-that's really sad, I loved him, I'm gonna miss his talks. Pretty shocking, especially knowing that so many in the church didn't know yet and wanted to talk to our families.

We'll see if there's anything special tonight in the way of speakers or anything, I’m assuming that there has already been a funeral? I thought we'd hear or get to watch some sort of broadcast of something but maybe not.

Thank you all soooo much for your letters-you have no idea (those of you who have served missions know) how much it brightens my day and I can't wait to get home at 9:30 and read them. I love the pictures I got from Benson and Gracie-they're hilarious and decorate my room nicely. Hey Steve-drop a line once in awhile ok? We can have our own lil' conversations etc on the side if you want.

Eric, thanks so much for the letter! that's so exciting that you're almost done-I guess I can always remember that though Russian is hard, it could be worse- at least I have the spirit with me to hopefully testify of what I’m trying to say 8) and I canNOT believe that the third bourne ultimatum movie was bad-did you mean the ending just wasn't satisfying? cause I can't believe it was all bad-had to have some good action in it....o well, I guess after 18 months I’ll be happy with anything 8) thanks for the news from the outside.

Mike, Jess, and kids: thanks for the letters, I love hearing about the kids and how the transition is going in Ok-I keep forgetting that you had moved there! Benson and Gracie-your pictures were beautiful, thanks so much-and keep em' coming. I hope you guys are doing well and make sure to be a good boy and girl- listen to your mom and dad (believe me, your dad is really good at tickling into submission). Keep me informed of how everyone is doing and the new job is going.

Steve, how is band doing? I bet you guys are working hard for the upcoming season-def keep me updated on competitions and the other competition out there and school/life etc.

Grandpa and Grandma thanks so much for taking me to the MTC- I appreciate your support and your loving words. The scriptures you give are great as well and just what I need. Thank you Grandpa Adams for your surprise visit! It was great to see you at the MTC before begining my mission. I love it here and love the spirit that I feel here-it's something I want to strive for the rest of my life. I'm excited to serve and love the Russian people and to learn the language which I know is possible and only because of the Lord and my faith in him.

I know this church is true, that we have the restored gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth today and that this fullness is the only way to make it back to live with him and heavenly father again and that it is such a source of joy that we should be happy to share it with all around us not scared-it's a good thing 8) I know that Gordon B. Hinckley is a prophet of God and that through him the Lord runs his church on this earth. Always strive to be worthy of the temple because there we are able to continue our tutorial with God and be close to him. I have faith in the atonement of Jesus Christ and its real power in our lives and am grateful for the strength and comfort it gives me. The book of Mormon is the word of God and by studying the principles in it we are able to make it back to our heavenly father who loves us.

I love you all and encourage you to share the gospel and befriend everyone you meet-use me as a scapegoat if you want 8)

I love you all and hope that you will remember that we are all instruments and the choices we make in this life are hopefully making us into instruments that the Lord can use and come to trust in his need of instruments.

Keep in touch!
I encourage you to read in Alma 26-7 and 32 (heck, all of these chapters are great in getting you into the missionary spirit 8)

Love,

Cectpa Whitney Richards

No comments: